stand / n.
- a supportive framework. music or art stand.
- a gathering place where goods may be sold. books or ice cream stand
- a strongly expressed position. We take a stand on social and environmental justice.
- a group of trees in a prairie field. Spring melt and summer rains collect in low points on the land. Seeds find their way into these fertile spots and develop into thriving trees. With roots intertwined beneath the soil, each tree is made stronger by its neighbours. Together, they endure the violent winds that happen across the lands.
The Stand Community Organizing Centre is a hub that builds social movements by informing, supporting, and connecting people and groups to work towards social, environmental, and economic justice. It is operated by the Treaty 6 Justice Collective in partnership with Turning The Tide Bookstore.
The Stand provides workshops and events to share the knowledge and skills needed to create change, including:
- One Tangible Skill Workshop Series
- Speakers Series in partnership with Amigo’s Cantina
- Worker’s Rights Workshop Series in partnership with CUPE
The Stand provides support services that enhance the ability of people and groups to create change, including:
- Meeting, event, and coworking space with flexible pricing
- Access to equipment (sound system, chairs, sign making materials, etc.)
- Community Organizing Fund - small grants for grassroots groups
The Stand helps build a strong and coordinated movement towards social, environmental, and economic justice by connecting organizations, community leaders, and concerned individuals.
- Community Directory - in development
- Community Calendar - in development
- Gatherings & coalition building
Become a member of The Treaty 6 Justice Collective, which manages The Stand.