Happy HO HO HOrganizing from The Stand!
We have been busy organizing for change last year, working in partnership with many of the committed and inspiring community groups in our city. Our work has included organizing public events and meetings that address: just transitions for oil sector workers, car sharing, electric cars, green burials, new roles for Canada Post, police accountability, trade policy, community health, and electoral reform and alternative voting systems!
Already know you want to support independent community organizing?
Become a member | Book our space for an event | Donate
Six ways we’ve made a difference
1. We’ve hosted public events
- Green Burials
- Activist Art
- Beehive Collective
- Fair Trade Saskatoon Wine & Information Session
- Iron & Earth
- Overshoot Day Event
- Electric Car Presentation
- Maude Barlow Meet & Greet
2. We’ve organized and promoted Book Clubs, Launches, and Readings
- Naomi Klein’s This Changes Everything book launch and discussion
- Climate Solutions Book Club
- After the Sands book launch
- Janina Kirton & Dawn Dumont book launch
- Wes Funk fan fiction
- Fault Lines book launch with Emily Eaton and Val Zink
- A Propaganda System book launch with Yves Engler
- isms zine launch
3. We’ve housed meetings for community groups
- Stop the Cuts to the Lighthouse organizing meeting
- Council of Canadians Saskatoon chapter
- NextUp advisory meeting
- Saskatoon Coordinating Committee Against Police Violence
- Girls Rock Camp
- Salvador Allende Spanish School
- Emerging Leaders for Solar Energy
- Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), Saskatoon group
4. We’ve provided space for Annual General Meetings
- Saskatoon CarShare co-op
- SK Association of Social Workers, Saskatoon
- Broadway Theatre
- Tonight It’s Poetry
- Saskatchewan Aboriginal Writers’ Circle Inc. (SAWCI)
5. Offered Workshops, Coordination, and Consultation Services
- One Tangible Skill Workshop, first of a series
- SCIC Community Assessment and Facilitation
- Strong Roots Consulting Hours
6. Welcomed Community Classrooms
- Collective Voice Class
- Hosted International Studies and Community Health and Epidemiology community seminar classes
- Ecological literacy classes, spring and summer
- EcoJustice Class BBQ
We have plans to grow our capacity and continue working alongside and supporting the important issues facing our communities today.
Here are three ways you can be part of it!
Become a member
Become a member and attend our AGM in January. Help shape our priorities for the upcoming year.
Book your next meeting in our space
Book your next meeting in our space and discover what an comfortable, relaxed, productive working space it is.
Donate to keep the movement building
The Stand is totally independent of state funding, and reliant on people who care about independent grassroots movements to keep it running. We can’t do all this without your help, so please consider becoming a sustaining member. Even a small contribution once a month is amazingly helpful and lets us plan our expansion.
The Stand Community Organizing Centre is located at 615 Main Street in the Broadway area of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan / Treaty 6 Territory. We offer meeting space, co-working desks, and services such as mentoring, workshops, and educational events that will build strong, sustainable social movements into the future.